Pages

Monday, March 3, 2014

Preconceived Notions Part 2



There were some things I was expecting when I came to Ecuador.


I was expecting to find Ecuadorian young people just as impervious to the things of God as their American counterparts. I was positive that I would enjoy my time here. I was sure that I would be ripped off in the markets. I was planning on getting sick. I was almost certain that the toilet would not flush the opposite direction; simply because I am a Beckett and cool things like that just don’t work for me. I was expecting to get burned when I went to the beach for Carnaval.


I was right on all counts. And being right definitely doesn't always make me happy.


Out of all those preconceived notions, it doesn't really matter that there isn't peanut butter or cheddar cheese readily available. It doesn't matter that showers are only hot for the first three minutes. It doesn't really matter that I've been gypped in markets, or that I've gotten sick. Or that I’m about the same color as a lobster, complete with oozing blisters on my arms.


What does matter is that first right expectation: that Ecuadorian young people can be just as godless as Americans. It’s not really a case of just being Americanized; this is a world-wide phenomenon, at least in developed/developing countries.


And it’s so sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment