Pages

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Random Homegoing Thoughts

I leave Cuenca tomorrow.

It seems like forever and no time at all since I arrived. And now I'm going to Peru. I'll be home in less than 10 days.

It's so strange.

I've learned so much here: about myself, about the culture, about all the things I don't know. I've learned that people really do love me for who I am, and not because I've got everything together or can do anything for them. (That's a nice feeling!)

Remember how I was so scared to come to Ecuador? Well, now I'm scared to leave. Ecuador has become my comfort zone. I know when I get back that no one will be able to relate to my experience, and it just won't be as important to them as it is to me. And there will be a "choque," a disconnect.

I'll leave CEDEI behind forever. I'll leave behind my host family. I'll leave Cuenca behind, this picturesque city nestled in the heart of the mountains.

I'll bring back memories and mementos. I'll bring back a stronger knowledge of Spanish, and of the Ecuadorian culture. I'll bring back a hint of the Cuencano "singing" accent.

I guess it's just so surreal that I'm actually going home. Home. There isn't a word in Spanish for home. The closest word is hogar, but even that is exchangeable with "house." But I'm going home.

Home!

1 comment:

  1. Very nicely written. Understood why you are reluctant for the next inevitable change, and yet that is exactly what has made the experience so valuable. As for us, we've missed you and look forward to a Jewel hug soon!

    ReplyDelete